Donnerstag, 4. März 2010

Bargain bin

It's a pity. Sometimes I get a little sad, when I get to see worn out records. I am wondering, how some people treat their records. Once I got the chance to get my hands on an original first pressing of Lou Donaldson's "Sunny side up" (I already wrote about it in an earlier post). The description of the record and jacket were somewhere in the very good-direction. I can't remember the price, but it was very cheap. The record is almost incredible to be found as an original pressing whithout spending tons of gold, so there was a small chance to get a record, I could listen to. It turned out, that the record was worn and far from being very good. That's sad, because otherwise, some people would have spend much money for it. On the other hand, I like it, because it's an original pressing and I am happy, that I can treat it with some kind of respect, others may have missed. I think, the graders on ebay have become more and more exact with their visual and audible gradings. That makes it hard to find real bargains. But from time to time, I'll try. Lately I stumbled across an original Mono-pressing of Eric Dolphy's "Out to lunch". The record was described as good. The price was absolutely okay and I hope, that I will be lucky this time and it will turn out as a playable copy. What am I supposed to say? These records are historical documents and maybe the musician himself, Alfred Lion, Rudy van Gelder or someone else once had exactly this record in his hand, before it went on to the retailer?! Who knows? So these records all have a story to tell - not only the mint copies. And even when they are worn or have poor condition, someone has to take care of them.
...sometimes, I am the one. Think about it!
(Photographs are coming soon)

0 Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Abonnieren Kommentare zum Post [Atom]

<< Startseite